Good Luck Feng Shui
Superstitions for good luck in feng shui are based on the Chinese culture and philosophical belief systems like in any culture.
Like any culture, the Chinese have certain superstitions that are related to good and bad luck.
- The Chinese believe that good luck can be found in pairs. Whenever the Chinese give a gift, it's done in pairs or multiples of pairs. If you wish to give a gift, then you'll want to give two gifts. The more gifts, the more luck, such as giving four, eight, sixteen gifts, and so on. Gifts are given for various occasions such as weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, and New Year.
- You don't want to build a home that faces north.
- Number four sounds like the Chinese word, death and should be avoided.
- Staircases should have an even number of steps.
- The number eight is lucky because it sounds like the word prosper and nine sounds similar to the word sufficient.
- The word is caution for marriage and numbers when it comes to the age difference between you and your spouse. If you want to ensure a happy marriage, you shouldn't marry anyone who is 3 or 6 years young or older than you.
What You Say Is Important
One of the things you don't want to do is talk about the dead. The Chinese don't talk about the dead or about anyone who is dying. This is considered very bad luck. Make sure your luck remains intact by not telling any ghost stories.
How you sweep your home is very important. You can hold on to the good luck that enters your door by proper sweeping. When you sweep your home, you should sweep inwardly. You need to sweep all of the dirt and dust into the center of your home and then physically carry it out of the house through the back door, never the front door. This keeps the good luck in your home.
Superstitions Surrounding New Year's Day
One of the most auspicious times for the Chinese is New Year's Day. The Chinese believe that the things you do on this day will determine your luck for the following year.
New Year Good Luck Tips
A few important tips can help you increase your luck for the upcoming year.
- Don't argue or cry on New Year's Day unless you wish to cry and argue throughout the upcoming year.
- Don't use sharp objects like knives on this important day since pointed objects are considered inauspicious. Knives on New Year's Day will slice and destroy your good luck.
- Keep your feet firmly planted on the ground and avoid rough patches by not buying any shoes on New Yea's Day. The word shoes sounds like the word rough, so if you need new shoes, purchase a pair before the holiday.
- You need to start the New Year off debt-free, otherwise, the you'll be plagued with bills and more bills throughout the entire year.
- Serve noodles for the New Year's meal. The longer the noodle the longer and happier the luck will be.
- The color red is consider to most auspicious color and brings the biggest and best luck. You'll want to wear red on New Year's Day.
- To ensure you have a sweeter New Year, be sure to eat deserts, candy and other sweets.
- Don't get your hair cut during the week of the New Year. If you cut your hair, you're cutting off good luck. Don't wash your hair on the first day of the New Year unless you want to wash away all of your good luck.
You'll find several superstitions surrounding wedding ceremonies.
- A rainy wedding is auspicious and means a fertile and prosperous life together.
- Don't try on your wedding dress before the wedding or you won't get married. There's no answer for how a bride gets fitted for her wedding dress.
- If the groom stands or sits in front of his wife during the ceremony, he's doomed to life a married life constantly being henpecked.
- It's bad luck if the groom arrives at the ceremony after the bride.
- Never give the bride and groom knifes or other pointed and sharp objects as a gift. Sharp objects are consider inauspicious.
- Rice tossed at the couple ensures prosperity.
- The bride should never wear pearls on her wedding day or suffer a sad and tearful marriage.
- Wedding clothes are red, white or yellow to ensure a lucky wedding and marriage.
Babies and Birth Superstitions
There are also superstitions surrounding births.
- A baby shower before the baby is born is bad luck. These are held after the birth.
- You can ensure the gender of your baby by eating certain foods.
- Be careful what you think and do because this will affect who your child becomes.
- Refrain from rubbing your abdomen too often, or suffer a spoiled child.
- There can be no construction or work done in the home of a pregnant woman without risking the health of her unborn child.
- Your baby's destiny is determined by the very first object she or he picks up.